[FFmpeg-devel] Google Summer of Code Qualification

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Mar 11 16:30:55 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 12:40:34AM -0400, Justin Ruggles wrote:
[...]
> > 	Regarding the qualification, I also noticed that ffmpeg doesn't have
> > the ability to pass along metadata tags when it transcodes music. I
> > was wondering if my qualification could be to write a metadata tag
> > reader/writer for certain media files. For mp3, the LGPL'd http://id3lib.sourceforge.net/
> >   should probably do, but I could probably write my own implementation
> > if necessary (which I bet will probably be necessary for MP4/ALAC/AAC
> > tags).
>
> FFmpeg already has very basic tagging support.  I don't know the full
> list, but in a quick search I was able to find ID3 tags, Vorbis
> comments, APE tags, and iTunes mp4 tags.  Granted, the current support
> is very limited.  I'm not sure what the demand is for a more complete
> metadata system. libavtag? ;)

Well, metadata should allow:
* user defined tags as well as standard tags
* apply globally / to a subset of streams and a specific timespan
* remap identifers of tags between formats as needed
* allow tags to be added / removed / replaced from the command line
* be simple and clean (very important!)

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible. -- Voltaire