[FFmpeg-devel] Memory leak using bitstream filters with shared libs

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Mar 11 21:14:11 CET 2008

 On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 09:20:06PM +0200, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 18:52 +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > I guess i should refuse a workaround until the bug has been reported, maybe
> > they do fix it. But even if not it should be reported.
>
> And what is the "bug"? That you can't both change what the symbols are
> bound to AND keep them the same to match what they're bound to
> elsewhere? I wouldn't expect a fix for that dilemma...

There is just one symbol and that is in the library
-Bsymbolic as it is documented removes the special feature of ELF shared
libs to override such symbols. The C standard (as well as common sense)
requires all references to the symbol to be equal. This is not optional
or dependant on command line options. Its a strict requirement of C.
The bug is that this requirement is broken when the lib is compiled with
PIC and -Bsymbolic and the main app is not compiled with PIC.

> Maybe you could get them to explain the problem more clearly in the
> documentation,

And this would be better than the current situation ...

> but don't expect them to change the documented semantics
> of -Bsymbolic.

Where is that documentation which says that the main app will see a different
symbol than the lib with -Bsymbolic. Its certainly not in the documentation of
-Bsymbolic, as such these are not the "documented semantics".

> If you want another option that does something different
> that's a separate feature request, not a bugfix.

I wonder why you cannot just accept that you were wrong ...

Let us carefully observe those good qualities wherein our enemies excel us
and endeavor to excel them, by avoiding what is faulty, and imitating what
is excellent in them. -- Plutarch