[FFmpeg-devel] Memory leak using bitstream filters with shared libs

Rich Felker dalias
Wed Mar 12 01:54:16 CET 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 01:42:39AM +0200, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > > If someone posted similar complaints about FFmpeg, for example "We tried
> > > giving various nonstandard options to FFmpeg and the resulting file
> > > doesn't play in my DVD player any more! That's a horrible bug!" they'd
> > > surely be flamed. Even if FFmpeg documentation was less than perfect.
> > > Your complaints about -Bsymbolic aren't really any more valid than that.
> >
> > As said the fine difference is that explicitly asking to break the standard
> > and asking to do something unrelated to standard breakage which does _NOT_
> > require breaking the standard break it are 2 very different things.
>
> And just how would you implement -Bsymbolic so that it binds symbols to
> the versions in the library but never makes the addresses differ from
> those seen elsewhere? "Rewrite the ABI for the sake of this option" is
> not a realistic answer IMO.

There is no need for ABI changes, just generating the correct
relocations. This will necessarily involve textrels in either the
library of the executable, which I have no objection to but which the
GNU toolchain maintainers (not to mention the gentoo kiddies) despise.

Rich