[FFmpeg-devel] [RUMOUR] ASM support on Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

Alexander Strange astrange
Wed Mar 12 22:20:29 CET 2008

On Mar 12, 2008, at 5:19 PM, Mike Melanson wrote:
> ?smail D?nmez wrote:
>> Sounds corporate, no? Here is what Apple have to say about these
>> prereleases :
>>
>> =============
>> Warning: Pre?release software is Apple confidential information.
>> Your
>> unauthorized distribution of pre?release software or disclosure of
>> information relating to pre?release software (including the
>> posting of
>> screen shots) may subject you to both civil and criminal liability
>> and
>> result in immediate termination of your ADC Membership.
>> =============
>
> Yeah, well... every bit of binary software that this group has ever
> reverse engineered has been covered by much scarier sounding
> legalese. I
> have access to a copy of the SDK and this might just give me a
> reason to
> care.

It could already compile ffplay/mplayer, but it wouldn't link non-PIC
code into loadable plugins (like VLC/Perian use). That works again now.
It also comes with gcc 4.2 and llvm-gcc, but I haven't benchmarked
them yet; I don't think llvm can even compile the inline asm yet, but
they're working on it.

>> You can free to try with simple ./configure , no Xcode knowledge is
>> needed at all.
>
> I have the prior version of Xcode installed already. Will I need to
> uninstall it?

No, it installs over them.