[FFmpeg-devel] [RUMOUR] ASM support on Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

Måns Rullgård mans
Wed Mar 12 22:29:24 CET 2008

"?smail D?nmez" <ismail at namtrac.org> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 11:05 PM, Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx> wrote:
>> ?smail D?nmez wrote:
>>  > Hi,
>>  >
>>  > On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:37 PM, M?ns Rullg?rd <mans at mansr.com> wrote:
>>  >> I found this on the VLC mailing list, and figured it might interest
>>  >>  someone:
>>  >>
>>  >>  ---8<---
>>  >>  just FYI:
>>  >>
>>  >>  as widely published, Apple's iPhone SDK includes a new version of
>>  >>  Xcode called 3.1 (beta), which may be installed separately but is only
>>  >>  distributed as part of the SDK download.
>>  >>
>>  >>  However, this new Xcode releases finally includes an updated linker,
>>  >>  which fixes the compilation problems of FFmpeg's ASM code on Intel-
>>  >>  based Macs. Thus, if you want a fast FFmpeg on Leopard, you the iPhone
>>  >>  SDK.
>>  >>  --->8---
>>  >
>>  > You can't actually talk about it since the dowloaded is bounded by
>>  > NDA, but don't hold your breath is all I can say about it.

I can talk all I want, since I've signed no NDA.

>>  It's a free download... under NDA? Sounds silly.
>
> Sounds corporate, no?

Yes, so it's probably not true.

> Here is what Apple have to say about these prereleases :
>
> =============
> Warning: Pre-release software is Apple confidential information. Your
> unauthorized distribution of pre-release software or disclosure of
> information relating to pre-release software (including the posting of
> screen shots) may subject you to both civil and criminal liability and
> result in immediate termination of your ADC Membership.

It's all in the phrasing you choose.  This is OK:

  FFmpeg can now be compiled with the latest Apple tools.

But this not:

  The latest Apple tools can now compile FFmpeg.

See, the first is "disclosing" information about FFmpeg, the second
about the Apple tool.  Well, I'm sure someone could be convinced ;-)

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com