[FFmpeg-devel] proposal for SOC projects

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Mar 13 20:03:43 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 06:38:28PM +0100, Lars T?uber wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> What about adding the following task(s) to SOC:
> - solidify Snow documentation and implementation to be versioned 1.0

* Document the whole snow algorithm
* Fix all snow related bugs on roundup
* faster halfpel interpolation (issue183)
* Try a different transform like an lapped biorthogonal transform instead of
  the wavelet (this could be better or worse only trying can tell ...)
* anything in doc/TODO about snow
* anything else which might improve snow quality per bitrate
(The idea here is that the goal would be, do as much as the time allows,
though we should decide on some minimum as all above is clearly not doable
within the time)

> - same for FFv1? <- this might be an easier job and therefore a qualification task

FFV1 requires just the range coder and get/put_symbol() to be documented
IIRC (this is very easy for someone knowing a little about arithmetic coders
and very hard for one not knowing arithmetic coders) so iam not completely
sure if it makes the ideal qualification task for a snow project. Even though
the range coder and get/put_symbol is used in snow as well.

I think something more snow related would be a better qualification task for
further snow work.
Maybe issue183 could be a qualification task?

Also i volunteer as mentor for snow related stuff.

Many things microsoft did are stupid, but not doing something just because
microsoft did it is even more stupid. If everything ms did were stupid they
would be bankrupt already.