[FFmpeg-devel] Muxing h.264 to MP4 gives broken files

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Fri Mar 14 13:58:47 CET 2008

Thorsten Jordan wrote:
> Baptiste Coudurier schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thorsten Jordan wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
> [...]
>>> There is some interesting additional information though:
>>> If you encode video with b-frames (h264), but give linear increasing
>>> values as pts (decoding order, so to say) instead of what the encoder
>>> gives as pts AND if you state that has_b_frames and max_b_frames of the
>>> context are zero before calling av_interleaved_write_frame, then the
>>> resulting MP4 file seems ok and mplayer doesn't report the "no keyframe"
>>> line.
>>>
>> IMHO broken files are declared based on specs, and not
>> player/decoder/demuxer behaviour.
>> Can you tell exactly in where generated mp4 is broken ?
> i am no expert for MP4 files, what shall i say here? do you want such a
> file as test material? or the elementary stream from it?

Yes, every bug report should have a sample file ideally.

> My category of "broken" is that mplayer can't playback them correctly. I
> also had trouble when playing these files on Windows/quicktime and a
> X-Box 360 too, so it doesn't seem mplayer's fault.

Well, here quicktime plays them perfectly both on mac and windows, and
wine. I don't have an xbox so I cannot tell.

Does mplayer with libavformat demuxer plays it correctly ?

SMARTJOG SAS                                     http://www.smartjog.com
Phone: +33 1 49966312