[FFmpeg-devel] SOC Qualifiction tasks

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Mar 16 23:03:02 CET 2008

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 11:04:55PM +0200, Uoti Urpala wrote:
[...]
> > Also we do have the get_buffer() method which allows you to move a opaque
> > pointer to AVFrame, this doesnt break with frame threads unless you
> > implement things in a way which breaks it.
>
> Yes, though it's IMO an ugly hack. It's also very nonobvious when it's
> not explicitly documented (you need to mess with buffer callbacks to
> implement timing based on pts?) and it's not clear whether it's
> guaranteed to work.

A patch documenting it is welcome.
Also IMO the alternative of having a foobar field from AVCodecContext moved to
AVFrame isnt more obvious either ...

> > [...]
>
> > > For use in a practical player it would still be useful to know WHICH
> > > frame is output from the codec's point of view even if you always buffer
> > > at least has_b_frames+1. It's necessary if you only have DTS, and even
> > > with PTS it would be nice to be able to check that the timestamps really
> > > are sane.
> >
> > We have coded_picture_number and display_picture_number in AVFrame, maybe
> > they could be usefull here?
>
> coded_picture_number doesn't tell anything about reordering with
> LOW_DELAY, and the only references to display_picture_number seem to be
> in encoding code.

Could be but theres nothing stoping a decoder from setting it.

it is not once nor twice but times without number that the same ideas make
their appearance in the world. -- Aristotle