[FFmpeg-devel] What's Going On With x264 and GSoC?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb
Tue Mar 18 00:32:06 CET 2008

Hello,

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008, Mike Melanson wrote :
> x264 has attached itself to FFmpeg's SoC effort. Okay, fine. However, I
> noticed that they are also attached to VLC's SoC effort. What's going on
> here? Are they trying to hedge their bets? If so, both FFmpeg and VLC
> have been accepted into the 2008 GSoC. So I don't know if it's
> worthwhile for x264 to be attached to both. In fact, it may be
> detrimental and confusing.

Yes, I do agree, they have to choose, as the best it is for ffmpeg, VLC
and x264. I think that the limiting thing is more about the mentoring
weight they can give and how many students they can handle.

Improvements to ffmpeg and x264 are profitable to everyone.

What about mailing me ?

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf