[FFmpeg-devel] Searching for a ffmpeg BCLO (bastard chief legal officer)

Diego Biurrun diego
Tue Mar 18 01:32:19 CET 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 08:13:00PM -0400, Chris Ribe wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Chris Ribe <chrisribe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > OK, so why don't we give this a try?  A good first target seems to be
> > > VEMoDe, which claims to be GPLed, but provides no source:
> > >
> > > http://vemode.coreforge.org/
> > >
> > > You should create an account for yourself in our issue tracker, we list
> > > license violations there, this one is issue 370:
> > >
> > > https://roundup.mplayerhq.hu/roundup/ffmpeg/issue370
> >
> > Alright, I'll check it out and compose something appropriate.
>
>  I've drafted a letter to send to the author of VEMoDe.  Since it is my
> first correspondence on behalf of ffmpeg,  I figured I would run it by this
> list before sending it, in case there are any objections to the content.
> Note that I refer exclusively to the GPL instead of the LGPL, as the
> ffmpeg.exe being distributed was compiled with the --enable-gpl flag.
>
> [...]
>
>  If there are no objections to this letter, I will go ahead an send it.

No objections from me, on the contrary.

There is one more thing you should point out, though: It needs to be
clear which version of FFmpeg he is using and what changes he did make,
if any.  This is the part that may be interesting to us, there is the
chance that some of his changes could be useful.

Diego