[FFmpeg-devel] Searching for a ffmpeg BCLO (bastard chief legal officer)

Víctor Paesa wzrlpy
Tue Mar 18 11:16:59 CET 2008

Hi,

Chris Ribe said:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Chris Ribe <chrisribe at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> > OK, so why don't we give this a try?  A good first target seems to
>> be VEMoDe, which claims to be GPLed, but provides no source:
>> >
>> > http://vemode.coreforge.org/
>> >
>> > You should create an account for yourself in our issue tracker, we
>> list license violations there, this one is issue 370:
>> >
>> > https://roundup.mplayerhq.hu/roundup/ffmpeg/issue370
>> >

>> Alright, I'll check it out and compose something appropriate.
>>

>  I've drafted a letter to send to the author of VEMoDe.  Since it is my
> first correspondence on behalf of ffmpeg,  I figured I would run it by
> this list before sending it, in case there are any objections to the
> content. Note that I refer exclusively to the GPL instead of the LGPL,
> as the ffmpeg.exe being distributed was compiled with the --enable-gpl
> flag.
>

> Mr. Fuentes,
>>      I recently downloaded your software, VEMoDe, from the link on its
>> webpage at http://vemode.coreforge.org/.  The downloads available on
>> the site include binary versions of FFmpeg, and I am contacting you on
>> behalf of the FFmpeg copyright holders.
>>      Unfortunately, your redistribution does not meet the requirements
>> set
>> forth by the GPL, and you must meet those requirements if you wish to
>> continue distributing copies of FFmpeg.
>>      Specifically,  the source code of the project is not included
>> with
>> the download and no offer to provide the source code accompanies the
>> software.  I imagine this is merely an oversight on your part, as your
>> README states that your software is distributed under the GPL and a
>> copy of the GPL itself is included.  Nevertheless, this must be
>> corrected.
>>      I was able to find some of the source code for your project on
>> the
>> CORECODEC site (at
>> http://coreforge.org/frs/download.php/28/vemode12b_src.zip ),  but
>> please be aware that providing the contents of that zip file alone
>> would not satisfy the requirements of the GPL.  While it contains most
>> of the FFmpeg source, it does not contain everything needed to build
>> FFmpeg from source. The GPL states, "For an executable work, complete
>> source code means all the source code for all modules it contains,
>> plus any associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used
>> to control compilation and installation of the executable."
>> Furthermore, the source .zip file does not contain the source of the
>> various other executable files included in your distribution.
>>      In light of these problems, we request that you either bring your
>> software distribution into compliance with the GPL  or cease
>> distributing copies of FFmpeg immediately.   Given your apparent
>> desire to distribute your software under the GPL, I am optimistic that
>> we can work this out to everyone's satisfaction.

> [...]

Mr. Fuentes' web is written in nice English, and hence he will understand
your letter, but his Spanish name makes me suggest to leverage the
multicultural FFmpeg community, and send also a translation (in offender's
native language) if our BCLO has the feeling that the offender has limited
English skills.

I volunteer for the Spanish translations and/or been in copy to try to
avoid any (cultural) misunderstandings.

Regards,
V?ctor