[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC 2008

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Mar 18 17:00:39 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 08:14:32PM +1000, Abhishek Bhatt wrote:
> G'day All,
>
> My name is Abhishek Bhatt and I aspire to work with ffmpeg development team
> on Google Summer of Code program.
> I have gone through the GSoC wiki on ffmpeg and I'd like to work on Apple
> Lossless Encoder.
>
> As a qualification task I'd like to work on finishing up the  "JPEG 2000
> Encoder and Decoder" project from the last year.
> Would anybody be able to provide details on what state the code is in and
> what features need to be implemented?

First, get the j2k standard (or draft) if you havnt already.
Second get http://www.crc.ricoh.com/~gormish/jpeg2000conformance/j2kp4files_v1_5.zip
The decoder should decode all the simple files from this (it currently decodes only
2 files)
see http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-soc/2007-August/001511.html

I would suggest that you only work on the decoder for now and leave the
encoder for someone else or later.

Also get jasper so you know how the images should look when decoded correctly

After you got all simple files decoding properly you should submitt a patch to
ffmpeg-dev which will then likely need a few review + patch resend iterations.

Also if you want, you can have write access to the soc svn in which the
current j2k code is. (send diego a username for that)

Current qualification task assignments:
Sascha              RL2
Marcondes           VIVO demuxer
andi                MLP patch cleanup
thilani             MLP patch cleanup? (said so after andi)
Ramiro              mimic
Alexander Strange   SSE2 IDCT
Deep Pal            optimal mjpeg huffman table
Bartlomiej          YOP Playback System / finish E-AC3
Indrani             YOP Playback System (said so after Bartlomiej
                                         but Bartlomiej works on EAC3 currently)
Abhishek Bhatt      finish j2k decoder

The educated differ from the uneducated as much as the living from the
dead. -- Aristotle