[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC 2008

Mike Melanson mike
Thu Mar 20 00:05:56 CET 2008

Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 01:14:56PM -0700, Mike Melanson wrote:
>> [...]
>>> We're running out of qualification tasks. I need to go create some more!
>> * the AVPalette cleanup ...
>>
>> * change the existing avi/mjpeg code so it generates videos playable on
>>   my canon digital ixus 30 :)
>>
>> * lossy flac encoder using viterbi algorithm
>>
>> * MPEG-4 GMC encoder
>>
>> * fix ffserver
>>
>> * per MB rate control (nice for VBV compliance)
>>

> All those would really cool indeed.

Ahem... "qualification tasks". Let's review: these are supposed to be
simple tasks that a student familiar with C but perhaps unfamiliar with
FFmpeg -- and multimedia hacking in general -- can use to jump into
FFmpeg development. I'm not sure about some of the ones listed above.

I'm planning to break out the qualification tasks section into a new
Wiki page called something like "bite-sized FFmpeg tasks" that can help
new devs get familiar with the code. It won't be good enough to
enumerate a task via an incomplete sentence. Each task will need more
details. A little guidance/brief roadmap can go a long way.

With that, I'd like to remind students working on qualification tasks to
engage us and ask questions if stuck. At the very least, we would like
to know that you haven't given up on the tasks and gone searching for an
easier & less cool GSoC-qualified organization. :)

--
	-Mike Melanson