[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC 2008

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Thu Mar 20 00:20:13 CET 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 09:57:01PM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Ramiro Polla <ramiro at lisha.ufsc.br> writes:
> > Hey, I got Mimic in =)
> >
> > The problem is that I halted in the imdct part =(. My math is not that
> > good, and after some time fighting with math books I saw that I'd study
> > this thoroughly next semester at University. So I decided to first learn
> > to have some idea of what I was supposed to achieve, then implement it.
>
> If your university is anything like the one I attended, you'll stand a
> much better chance of gaining any useful knowledge from that course if
> you first familiarise yourself with how these transforms are used in
> real life, never mind the precise details of why they work.

I think that's actually unlikely to depend on the university. If you did
not really use it before or in parallel to the course you are unlikely
to learn to much from it.
Though if you are particularly unlucky they will only explain a few
thousand optimized versions that in any actual implementation will still
be slower than the stupidest approach... ;-)