[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC 2008

Måns Rullgård mans
Thu Mar 20 00:39:57 CET 2008

Reimar D?ffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 09:57:01PM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>> Ramiro Polla <ramiro at lisha.ufsc.br> writes:
>> > Hey, I got Mimic in =)
>> >
>> > The problem is that I halted in the imdct part =(. My math is not that
>> > good, and after some time fighting with math books I saw that I'd study
>> > this thoroughly next semester at University. So I decided to first learn
>> > to have some idea of what I was supposed to achieve, then implement it.
>>
>> If your university is anything like the one I attended, you'll stand a
>> much better chance of gaining any useful knowledge from that course if
>> you first familiarise yourself with how these transforms are used in
>> real life, never mind the precise details of why they work.
>
> I think that's actually unlikely to depend on the university. If you did
> not really use it before or in parallel to the course you are unlikely
> to learn to much from it.
> Though if you are particularly unlucky they will only explain a few
> thousand optimized versions that in any actual implementation will still
> be slower than the stupidest approach... ;-)

Hmm, now why does that ring a bell?  We at least had the fortune to
have one course taught by someone who actually worked on audio codecs
for a living (in a company), and did the teaching mostly for fun.  Of
course, that only happened after the maths department had tortured us
for a couple of years.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com