[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC 2008

Compn tempn
Thu Mar 20 14:10:15 CET 2008

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:32:53 +0530, Sisir Koppaka wrote:

>Hi,
>I've been trying to get familiar with the codebase and have a few
>doubts - 1)In allformats.c one registers separately for a muxer and a
>demuxer. Some formats have only a muxer and some have only a demuxer,
>and some have both - do we have to put the code for the muxer and the
>demuxer in separate files in the libavformat folder?

yes, seperate files. but you only need to create the demuxer :)

>2) Does the second argument of REGISTER_MUXDEMUX stand for the
>filename of the corresponding code?

no. read this for some helpful info:
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=FFmpeg_demuxer_howto
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=FFmpeg_codec_howto

>3) I'm a newbie, so please excuse me for this one - how do I test the
>code? Do I compile it and try encoding BFI(the task I'm working on)
>into some other format or ... ?

you can try that, or you can try using ffplay file.bfi
ffmpeg -i file.bfi
will at least tell you if you registered the demuxer properly.

-compn