[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC 2008

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Mar 20 13:36:20 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 08:17:38AM -0500, Compn wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 03:01:29 -0400, andy g wrote:
>

> >On Mar 19, 2008, at 7:05 PM, Mike Melanson wrote:
> >
> >> With that, I'd like to remind students working on qualification
> >> tasks to
> >> engage us and ask questions if stuck.
> >
> >In that vein, I'm stuck. I've emailed Ian, but the latest version of
> >his patch fails catastrophically on all test cases I run.

You mean that Ians MLP decoder does not decode MLP properly?
Anyway, have you tried a previous version of the MLP patch?
And with a old ffmpeg revission? I assumed that the code did work
though ive never tested it.

> >Unfortunately, I cannot fix anything simply because he reverse
> >engineered the MLP codec, meaning that there is no spec for me to use
> >to debug it. Since I was hoping on completing a qualification task in
>
> you only need to security test it. not get it to the hidden spec :)
> e.g. use zzuf fuzzer program and give it some mlp input file until it
> crashes. when it crashes, run ffmpeg_g inside of gdb and see if there
> are any problems in the code.

Well, that was certainly the idea, but if the MLP decoder does not work
at all then it might be better to choose another qualification task.
Because such a decoder would not do any good for ffmpeg.

The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.
-- Aristotle