[FFmpeg-devel] full support for PAFF (was - Decoding artifacts with some AVCHD files)

Loren Merritt lorenm
Thu Mar 20 19:04:03 CET 2008

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Igor wrote:

>>  they are using field-based interlacing (aka PAFF) , with 2 bframes.
>>  Their top field for b-slice uses temporal bdirect mode, whereas
>>  their bottom field in b-slice uses spatial prediction bdirect mode.
>>  Support for this prediction is incomplete in ffmpeg, hence the artifacts
>>  you're seing.
>
> is there any palns about implementation of full PAFF support in ffmpeg ? Does somebody work under this point ?

Bad question. I don't think anyone will ever write a decoder that
suppports all the features of the standard. (No, the reference doesn't
either). Nor all the features that can conceivably be in the same stream
as PAFF.
Now, you can ask about some specific feature, like field deblocking, or
mixed direct mode.

--Loren Merritt