[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC with FFMpeg waht a combination!

Víctor Paesa wzrlpy
Fri Mar 21 11:30:40 CET 2008

Hi,

Robert Swain said:
> Hello,
>
> On 21/03/2008, Jason (spot) Brower wrote:
>> My favorite converter is in Google summer of code!  Wootness!
>>  I am a python programmer interested in created the gui front end for
>> ffmpeg.  I did a successful job last year making a gtk application
>> and I think, with a little help, I could really make a special and
>> unique gui for ffmpeg.  I personally haven't seen a frontend for
>> FFMpeg at all before.  So I think I have my work cut out for me.
>>  Is there a mentor already assigned or willing to take control of this
>> idea?  I would love to talk about some of the requirements for the
>> applications and share my ideas.
>
> I don't think there is a mentor for this task yet, but I may be
> interested in doing such. As usual with this project, I expect
> cross-platform portability will be a fair concern. Ideally we want any
> GUI to work on as many different platforms as possible. Maybe less of a
> concern to many but I think it would be nice if it used native
> widgets. Please feel free to make a list of suggestions here or come
> into our IRC channels (#ffmpeg or #ffmpeg-devel on irc.freenode.net) to
> discuss ideas.
>
>>  If your a mentor for the project, feel free to email me in list or
>> person.  In fact, if you like, you can add me to your jabber account
>> too. :D
>
> I've just added you on Jabber as I will be interested in the features
> and usability of any developed UI, but I think people on the list who
> are concerned about a UI would want to suggest features and ground rules
> for toolkits to use, etc.

Mmmh, there are already a number of GUIs around, see
http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/projects.html

My favorite is WinFF (it runs on Windows and Linux, and has a number of
convenient presets).
If you want to make your own, you might check the FLTK toolkit: it is
quite small, multiplatform and has a GUI designer.

Regards,
V?ctor