[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC with FFMpeg waht a combination!

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Mar 21 17:38:07 CET 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 04:39:30PM +0200, Jason (spot) Brower wrote:
> Last night while thinking over what I could do I came up with this brain dump.
> cat brain | grep 'idea GSOC FFMPEG' > FFMPEG maillist
> Recipe Based Video Converter
[...]
> I haven't totally looked it over for grammar and such but you should
> get the idea of what I am thinking.  My obvious focus was gnome in
> this example.  Yes having a single set of code for all platforms if
> hunky dory, but remember I can't do all the totally awsome integration
> code.  Like auto adding the nautilus scripts for all previously used
> profiles.
> If we HAVE to do the cross compilability then we would have to scratch
> so many fun ideas. (dang)
> Firefox used to think this way, but now they are creating a better
> browser by building a little different for each OS.  I lean in the
> same direction.

firefox is a bloated monster ...

> We could have multiple frontends that are recommended by the ffmpeg
> project. Windows in it's eviron, Linux in Gnome or KDE, and mac in
> cocoa.

gnome and kde are also bloated (and dying as there are better window
managers around) monsters

Now the requirements for a GUI would be IMO
* supports all functions of the command line tool (ffmpeg for converter,
  ffplay for player), theres no need to do both ffplay and ffmpeg in the
  same project though.
* works on win32 and X11
* no dependancies on unrelated libs (libgtk/libqt maybe, gnome/kde no)
* fully skinable to completely customize its look

Ideally a GUI should be written to be independant of the toolkit, and i
would lean toward directly using X11 with no toolkit.

And about using ff* vs. using the libs. Later would be redundant work IMHO
using the existing command line tools and changing them so they can be
properly integrated with a GUI seems simpler to me.
Also ffplay should be extended to support other VOs not just SDL but thats
a seperate project i guess.

There will always be a question for which you do not know the correct awnser.