[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] AVFilter Parser

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Mar 21 22:19:57 CET 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 10:02:35PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> Well, after various flames, discussions, some implementation and so on.
> Heres yet another proposal, this time mostly properly defined, i hope this
> will avoid flames and misuderstandings.
> This one is quite similar to the previous proposals, the main difference
> besides a clear definition of things is the feedback/feedforward syntax.
> The new syntax avoids the often cited problem with string insertion of
> predefined filter graphs and name colissions.

Some examples for filters from a filter lib:

my_filter0='picInPic;nop , picInPic'
that filter would place stream 1 and 2 as subpics in stream 0

this could also be written as:
my_filter1=' left>1 picInPic , right>1 picInPic'
and used like

movie=foo.avi 0>left,
movie=bar.avi 0>right,
movie=main.avi,
    my_filter1

or with my_filter0
movie=main.avi;
movie=foo.avi;
movie=bar.avi,
    my_filter0

Filter insertion from a lib is mere string insertion before parsing the whole
string.

Also cases like
my_filter2='filter1 1>T , filter3 , T>1 filter2'

filter0 1>T , my_filter2 , T>1 filter4

Could be resolved perfectly if some stack is used for the named links.

When the tyrant has disposed of foreign enemies by conquest or treaty, and
there is nothing more to fear from them, then he is always stirring up
some war or other, in order that the people may require a leader. -- Plato