[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC with FFMpeg waht a combination!

Mike Melanson mike
Sat Mar 22 04:59:49 CET 2008

Jason (spot) Brower wrote:
> I understand now that we need C developers.  But why when we are
> making a front end.  Additionally, people mock how slow these took
> kits are but ignore all the accessability, usability, and
> internationalization of the program.  WinAmp/xmms for example is not
> used in most linux version now because they want better accessibility.
>  visually impaired people  don't want that.  They want something that
> will work for them.  And this requirement for C programming.  That's
> just sad considering this is a front end that is not directly attached
> to ffmpeg.  I am trying to build on top of ffmpeg not assimilate it.

I'm on your side in this debate, in the respect that higher level
languages and libraries help (check out FATE @ fate.multimedia.cx --
Python/PHP/MySQL; would have taken me forever to build in straight C).
Fortunately, I was not bound by committee restrictions when building
FATE; I did it how I saw fit (and am still paying the price :) ).

I think you're probably fighting the wrong battle in trying to get an
official, cross-platform, FFmpeg/ffplay GUI built in a higher level
language with advanced usability libraries accepted into the main
codebase. FFmpeg works better as a backend library that outside projects
build upon. As you may have noticed, you're up against a bunch of
obsessively minimalist developers.

No one is going to stop you from creating an advanced GUI for FFmpeg; I
say go for it! Don't expect it to be a GSoC project, though.

--
	-Mike Melanson