[FFmpeg-devel] r12525 crashes with gcc 4.3.0 on mingw32, due to a bug in compiler

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sat Mar 22 10:57:50 CET 2008

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 11:50:39AM +0800, avcoder.net wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 4:01 AM, Zuxy Meng <zuxy.meng at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I just found that GCC 4.3.0 on MinGW32 incorrectly marks the
> > .text.unlikely section as "writable" instead of "executable", which
> > causes as to believe it should pad the section with zeros instead of
> > nops. The result is catastrophic.
> >
> > Good news is that few are affected, though.
> >
> Sadly, I am one of victims
>
> I spent a whole night to trace the bug!
>
> How to fix it?

Use an older gcc. Honestly, the .0 and often even the .1 versions of gcc
are so full of bugs you should _never_ use them for production code.
The 3.4 series are still the most stable, though one of the previous 4.x
series is good enough as well (I am not aware of remaining problems with
those).

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger