[FFmpeg-devel] GoC 2008 and H264 SVC decoder

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Mar 24 13:57:55 CET 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 01:32:40PM +0200, Robert Marston wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I was wondering if it were possible to add a qualification task for an
> H.264 SVC decoder for the FFMPEG project. This is something I am
> interested in developing. I know Jakob Rieckh sent an email a while back
> stating he was interested in doing this but from what I can tell he has
> since changed his mind about the project.

We have plenty of bugs in H.264 which need fixing (see roundup, the
mailinglist and just ask here). Also we still need a AVParser for h.264 which
fixes up all timestamps exactly and correctly from H.222 input.
I think these things could be a qualification task.

> I realize there has been no formal specification released adding to
> H.264 but judging by discussion on the JVT experts mailing list,
> http://ftp3.itu.ch/av-arch/jvt-site/2007_06_Geneva/JVT-X201.zip is the
> near final draft of the amendment. At the very least I would be looking
> for a decoder capable of playing back the streams encoded using the JVT
> SVC reference software.

Iam not fond of SVC, but if there is a mentor for this and google gives us
slots >= qualified students then i suspect it would be accepted, this of
course is the decission of the mentors not just mine ...
We had 8 slots last year and we have just 4 qualified student currently IIRC
Also we do not know yet what exact applications these students will submit
ramiro threatened MSVC which is disliked by many similar to SVC ...

Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad
people will find a way around the laws. -- Plato