[FFmpeg-devel] GoC 2008 and H264 SVC decoder

Robert Marston rmarston
Mon Mar 24 14:37:01 CET 2008

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 01:32:40PM +0200, Robert Marston wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I was wondering if it were possible to add a qualification task for an
>> H.264 SVC decoder for the FFMPEG project. This is something I am
>> interested in developing. I know Jakob Rieckh sent an email a while back
>> stating he was interested in doing this but from what I can tell he has
>> since changed his mind about the project.
>>

> We have plenty of bugs in H.264 which need fixing (see roundup, the
> mailinglist and just ask here). Also we still need a AVParser for h.264 which
> fixes up all timestamps exactly and correctly from H.222 input.
> I think these things could be a qualification task.

Would implementing the AVParser be useful and how simple a task would
this be? Also I will take a look through the roundup to see what I can
do there.

>> I realize there has been no formal specification released adding to
>> H.264 but judging by discussion on the JVT experts mailing list,
>> http://ftp3.itu.ch/av-arch/jvt-site/2007_06_Geneva/JVT-X201.zip is the
>> near final draft of the amendment. At the very least I would be looking
>> for a decoder capable of playing back the streams encoded using the JVT
>> SVC reference software.
>>

> Iam not fond of SVC, but if there is a mentor for this and google gives us
> slots >= qualified students then i suspect it would be accepted, this of
> course is the decission of the mentors not just mine ...
> We had 8 slots last year and we have just 4 qualified student currently IIRC
> Also we do not know yet what exact applications these students will submit
> ramiro threatened MSVC which is disliked by many similar to SVC ...
>
> [...]

This is only fair and I understand, implementing the SVC decoder would
be helpful to my current research but is not essential. If the mentors
are not keen on the idea then I wouldn't mind picking another project of
more relevance to FFMPEG.

Regards
Robert