[FFmpeg-devel] GoC 2008 and H264 SVC decoder

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Mar 24 15:07:18 CET 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 03:37:01PM +0200, Robert Marston wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 01:32:40PM +0200, Robert Marston wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all
> >>
> >> I was wondering if it were possible to add a qualification task for an
> >> H.264 SVC decoder for the FFMPEG project. This is something I am
> >> interested in developing. I know Jakob Rieckh sent an email a while back
> >> stating he was interested in doing this but from what I can tell he has
> >> since changed his mind about the project.
> >>

> > We have plenty of bugs in H.264 which need fixing (see roundup, the
> > mailinglist and just ask here). Also we still need a AVParser for h.264 which
> > fixes up all timestamps exactly and correctly from H.222 input.
> > I think these things could be a qualification task.
> >

> Would implementing the AVParser be useful

Well strictly we have a AVParser for h.264 it just doesnt fix the timestamps.
And yes it would be usefull, h264 in mpeg-ps/ts needs it, currently it
produces random timestamps from the user apps point of view though

> and how simple a task would
> this be?

How simple would implementing a H.264 SVC decoder be which we could commit to
svn? (no code duplication, clean, fast, ...)

> Also I will take a look through the roundup to see what I can
> do there.

good

Concerning the gods, I have no means of knowing whether they exist or not
or of what sort they may be, because of the obscurity of the subject, and
the brevity of human life -- Protagoras