[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC with FFMpeg waht a combination!

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala
Mon Mar 24 23:16:12 CET 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 22:47 +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:18:00PM +0200, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > That's a fucked up table... there are 32 KiB of pointers to strings and
> > 32 KiB of actual strings (I assume you meant Ki, not k)? Assuming 4-byte
>
> I didnt mean kiddy byte no.

Well no OS I know reads data in 4000 byte blocks...

>  And gettext needs more than 7 byte to store a
> 2 byte index IIRC. Complain to them for the fucked up format ...

WTF does the gettext implementation have to do with it? That was about
the behavior of binary search, not the gettext implementation (which can
use hashes). Your hash version was not the gettext hash implementation
either.

> > Getting to 2 seeks on average would cost extra space though, as you'd
> > need to store enough information in each hash table cell to be able to
> > verify whether it's the correct one without extra seeks (and this would
> > be wasted in the unused cells).
>
> This discussion is very tireing, it does waste maybe 4 bit on average and
> maybe it ends uo needing 2.1 seeks on average.
> Werent you just arguing a moment ago that 200 bits for an average string
> didint matter.
> Or is it that you just count bits in my design diferently? Could you spare
> me of this trolling please!

You were the one who argued for minimum space usage.