[FFmpeg-devel] M95 playback system implementation and GSoC questions

Kevin DuBois kdub432
Tue Mar 25 15:07:25 CET 2008

I have a few question regarding the technical aspects of my GsoC
qualification task, as well as some questions regarding the logistics of the
actual Summer of Code Program.

I've set up the demuxer part of the m95, and ffmpeg can identify m95 files,
and get the decoder started up, and I am currently working on getting the
decoder up and running. I have two questions:

1) M95 is an extension of C93, (it has 5 new compression modes, in addition
to c93's) so I am wondering whether I should try to cram everything for m95
decoding into libavcodec/c93.c or to make a new file, like libavcodec/m95.c
. The second option is easier insofar as I understand the API, but the first
one will avoid code duplication. If anyone has either has any useful
suggestions on how to fit everything into one file or endorses the addition
of libavcodec/m95.c, feedback would be appreciated!
2) Is there a hard deadline for the completion of the work? I've been aiming
to have it done by March 31 (the last day for student applications) or
sooner...
3) As for a main project, I was considering making streaming support usable
for the snow codec via rtp or helping to standardize the codec to make it
'stable'. Are either of these projects appropriate lengths for a gsoc
project? I know Marco Gerards was talking about snow improvements, perhaps a
small group of GsoC students can work on making snow a less experimental
codec?

Let me know your thoughts, thanks

--
Kevin DuBois
kdub432 at gmail.com
IRC: kdubois at freenode.net
PGP Key fingerprint = 80CF 7C1D 0A1C BE03 2203 95B6 1515 C3DC B6BE 7E88