[FFmpeg-devel] M95 playback system implementation and GSoC questions

Diego Biurrun diego
Tue Mar 25 15:52:42 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:07:25AM -0400, Kevin DuBois wrote:

> I've set up the demuxer part of the m95, and ffmpeg can identify m95 files,
> and get the decoder started up, and I am currently working on getting the
> decoder up and running. I have two questions:
>
> 1) M95 is an extension of C93, (it has 5 new compression modes, in addition
> to c93's) so I am wondering whether I should try to cram everything for m95
> decoding into libavcodec/c93.c or to make a new file, like libavcodec/m95.c
> . The second option is easier insofar as I understand the API, but the first
> one will avoid code duplication. If anyone has either has any useful
> suggestions on how to fit everything into one file or endorses the addition
> of libavcodec/m95.c, feedback would be appreciated!

I cannot say for sure which way is better without seeing the details,
but there is no need to duplicate code even if you split things into two
different files.  Just share a few functions or use a common header file
or similar.

In any case, no amount of code duplication will pass Michael's review.

Diego