[FFmpeg-devel] M95 playback system implementation and GSoC questions

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Mar 25 18:43:52 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:07:25AM -0400, Kevin DuBois wrote:
[...]
> 3) As for a main project, I was considering making streaming support usable
> for the snow codec via rtp or helping to standardize the codec to make it
> 'stable'. Are either of these projects appropriate lengths for a gsoc
> project? I know Marco Gerards was talking about snow improvements, perhaps a
> small group of GsoC students can work on making snow a less experimental
> codec?

I think standarizing (=freezing and not changing the spec) is not the correct
thing ATM, especially considering some TODO items and marcos possibls future
GSOC work.

Adding snow streaming support to a functioning RTP server and client code
should be easy and IMHO not enough for gsoc. But maybe our streaming code,
iam thinking of ffserver here, is not that functional, fixing that might or
might not be easy. So some GSOC project about getting
ffmpeg/ffserver/ffplay streaming (with emphasis on snow but not just snow)
working seems to be a better project.
The primary goal could be getting ffserver->ffplay with snow working
and if (and only if) time is left work on other codecs as well.

Anyway i think the 2 lucas will want to comment on this.
I certainly volunteer as mentor for snow specific stuff but not for rtp*
though maybe luca #1 or #2 will do that?

When the tyrant has disposed of foreign enemies by conquest or treaty, and
there is nothing more to fear from them, then he is always stirring up
some war or other, in order that the people may require a leader. -- Plato