[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC project task

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Tue Mar 25 19:27:18 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:37:18PM +0000, Jai Menon wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 March 2008 14:54:37 Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > The Xiph guys have (among other FFmpeg improvements) a Speex decoder for
> > FFmpeg listed on their SoC ideas wiki.  I'm not sure if they will have a
> > slot for it, but I'm quite confident that they would help out with
> > mentoring.  Shall I try to put you in contact with them?
>
> If i could still do the project under FFmpeg, it would be excellent because
> with the number of mentor-paired tasks on their ideas, i don't think Xiph
> would devote a slot for this. But, as always, any inputs are welcome.

You could still ask if they would devote a person that is willing to
help you with the libspeex source, because you _will_ have to read and
almost "reverse engineer" that (though I think it is not very difficult
if as a first step you throw out anything related to error
concealment/dropped package handling), and I won't be much of a help
there, since I don't know the speex code much and know mostly the basics
of audio coding.
So you should be confident that you can either get help from Xiph or
"naturally" understand most of the concepts and details for Speex
decoding.
What I so far intend to do as mentor is mostly help with the FFmpeg API, make
sure you do not reimplement stuff that is already part of our "framework",
help if there is a "I need a second pair of eyes" kind of bug and review
patches.

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger