[FFmpeg-devel] ASM support for MACOSX 10.5: really?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Mar 25 20:39:22 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 07:04:10PM +0000, Robert Swain wrote:
> On 25/03/2008, vmrsss <vmrsss at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 25 Mar 2008, at 14:53, ?smail D?nmez wrote:
> >  > First of all try with gcc not gcc-4.2, static build works fine with
> >  > gcc which is 4.0.1, if you want gcc 4.2 you'll have to do a 64bit
> >  > build due to flac error you encountered. And to do 64bit build on
> >  > MacOSX you need a patch that I posted to this list many times, a
> >  > little search will find it.
> >
> > Thanks a lot Ismail! This helped. Indeed, using gcc the static build
> >  goes through smoothly. With --enable-shared however, I still have
> >  can't compile cavdsp_mmx and flacdsp_mmx:
>
> These two are known. As I recall, for flac Loren said that it could be
> done using less regs but it's faster the way it is and the issue isn't
> the code, it's GCC's register allocation. Maybe this works in gcc 4.4?
> I've just been disabling them at configure time for the moment.

about cavdsp
 "m"(ff_pw_5), "m"(ff_pw_4) should be changed to MANGLE()

"m"(ADD),  "m"(MUL1), "m"(MUL2) should be replaced by a single pointer
into a const static table of the constants

i do not know if this is sufficicent ...

Anyway, as we dont have any person who knows asm, is willing to write a
clean workaround for this nor willing to report to gcc ... theres not
much i will do except wait for someone to volunteer to work on this ...

Many things microsoft did are stupid, but not doing something just because
microsoft did it is even more stupid. If everything ms did were stupid they
would be bankrupt already.