[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC with FFMpeg waht a combination!

The Wanderer inverseparadox
Tue Mar 25 21:56:39 CET 2008

Uoti Urpala wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 06:44 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>> Uoti Urpala wrote:
>>> Well no OS I know reads data in 4000 byte blocks...
>>
>> Will you please stop trying to force the new terminology on those
>> of us who are quite happy with the existing terms?
>
>> same applies in reverse, and I do object very strongly to having
>> people who prefer the revised syntax insist that the original one
>> not be used.
>
> Will you please stop describing the issue in such intentionally
> misleading and propagandistic terms?

I am of the opinion that I have given quite enough ground already in
acknowledging that other people can use the term if they want to.

I am also not inclined to be particularly (lenient? forgiving? generous?
all of those imply negative things about my viewpoint which I do not
intend...) towards someone who brought up the subject by intentionally
misunderstanding the term when there was no ambiguity.

> k meaning 1000 is the original and existing usage, and by a huge
> margin.

Not when measuring data. It may be that k was historically used to mean
1000 in some cases there as well, but from what I can tell it has been
vastly more often used to mean 1024 when referring to units of data, and
that is the usage which "ki" and the like are attempting to supersede.

That said, unless other people jump in such that the discussion expands
beyond just me being annoyed, I intend to drop the subject here rather
than produce an extended thread of offtopic argument.

--
    The Wanderer

    My usual .sig is on vacation while I adjust to my new computer