[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC with FFMpeg waht a combination!

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala
Tue Mar 25 22:32:16 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 16:56 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > Will you please stop describing the issue in such intentionally
> > misleading and propagandistic terms?
>
> I am of the opinion that I have given quite enough ground already in
> acknowledging that other people can use the term if they want to.
>
> I am also not inclined to be particularly (lenient? forgiving? generous?
> all of those imply negative things about my viewpoint which I do not
> intend...) towards someone who brought up the subject by intentionally
> misunderstanding the term when there was no ambiguity.

That's not a fair description of how the subject came up either. My
response to the initial post that used 'k' incorrectly only had a
parenthesized remark "I assume you meant Ki, not k". I don't see how you
could call that "intentionally misunderstanding".

> > k meaning 1000 is the original and existing usage, and by a huge
> > margin.
>
> Not when measuring data. It may be that k was historically used to mean
> 1000 in some cases there as well, but from what I can tell it has been
> vastly more often used to mean 1024 when referring to units of data, and
> that is the usage which "ki" and the like are attempting to supersede.

Except when talking about transmission of data etc... And the base-2
units are less practical when talking about large file sizes too.

> That said, unless other people jump in such that the discussion expands
> beyond just me being annoyed, I intend to drop the subject here rather
> than produce an extended thread of offtopic argument.

There also was a thread about the general subject already last year.
(http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2007-February/023218.html is where it stopped back then.)