[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] AVFilter Parser

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Mar 25 22:32:41 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 09:41:14PM +0100, Vitor Sessak wrote:
[...]
> >> 2- Let the ';' be interpreted like vrmsss's '*'
> >> Advantages, Disadvantages: Same as (1)
> >
> > I don't think the choice of a symbol is important, it is the syntactic
> > mechanisms to combine streams which are important. I suppose we can
> > take everybody agrees on the key elements for that (functional or
> > sequential composition of filters --meaning outputs of the preceding
> > filter feed into inputs of the following one-- parallel or non-
> > sequential composition, rearrangement of streams via appropriate
> > namings, and feedback or looping). I don't think we are yet reached
> > the perfect way to express these, but we're close.
>
> Maybe having both my ';' and your '*'. My ; is the last symbol in
> precedence, yours is the first. Mine operates in chains with no unlinked
>   pads. Yours operates in chains with one or more.

I think using () to override precedence is more natural than having 2
identical operators but with different precedence.

Also maybe see eval.c which contains a expression parser with +-*/^()...
Not sure how usefull such a design would be for filters though ...

Thouse who are best at talking, realize last or never when they are wrong.