[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC with FFMpeg waht a combination!

Måns Rullgård mans
Tue Mar 25 22:54:17 CET 2008

The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> writes:

> Uoti Urpala wrote:

>>> Will you please stop trying to force the new terminology on those
>>> of us who are quite happy with the existing terms?
>>
>>> same applies in reverse, and I do object very strongly to having
>>> people who prefer the revised syntax insist that the original one
>>> not be used.
>>
>> Will you please stop describing the issue in such intentionally
>> misleading and propagandistic terms?
>
> I am of the opinion that I have given quite enough ground already in
> acknowledging that other people can use the term if they want to.
>
> I am also not inclined to be particularly (lenient? forgiving? generous?
> all of those imply negative things about my viewpoint which I do not
> intend...) towards someone who brought up the subject by intentionally
> misunderstanding the term when there was no ambiguity.
>
>> k meaning 1000 is the original and existing usage, and by a huge
>> margin.
>
> Not when measuring data. It may be that k was historically used to mean
> 1000 in some cases there as well, but from what I can tell it has been
> vastly more often used to mean 1024 when referring to units of data, and
> that is the usage which "ki" and the like are attempting to supersede.

When referring to data other than bitstreams and related buffers, k or
kilo means 1024.  For bitstreams it is 1000.

> That said, unless other people jump in such that the discussion expands
> beyond just me being annoyed, I intend to drop the subject here rather
> than produce an extended thread of offtopic argument.

Oh, I'm annoyed enough.  I just can't be bothered to pick a fight with
Uoti.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com