[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC with FFMpeg waht a combination!

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Mar 26 03:06:42 CET 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 03:37:11AM +0200, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 00:26 +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> > The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> writes:
> > > I was fairly heavily involved in that thread, if it's the one I recall.
> > > The argument in there is what has led me to reluctantly concede for lack
> > > of supportable argument otherwise that others are allowed to use the
> > > term if they want to.
> >
> > I see no reason to tolerate this so-called word to any greater extent
> > than we would the renaming of other established words.  Suppose, for
> > instance, that I began insisting on calling C functions "finctions"
> > (perhaps to avoid "confusion" with the pure mathematical concept of
> > function).  Would everybody be OK with that?  I'd like to think not.
>
> I wouldn't be OK with it because practical ambiguity is rare. However if
> such ambiguity was common then the terminology would need to be changed.
> Uses of base-10 and base-2 units are not separated clearly enough that
> you could rely on context to disambiguate them.
>
> If for example 'ls -l' shows file size as 183297384 bytes then I'll say
> it's 183 MB. Would that really be obvious from context if I also used
> 'MB' when talking about base-2 units? Or do you claim that I must
> convert the value to base-2 units?

If you dont want to convert them to base 2 then you could say
~183e6 bytes or if you prefer i guess ~183MB(1) would work as well.

(1) Mega as defined in Le Syst?me International d'Unit?s as of 2008

Breaking DRM is a little like attempting to break through a door even
though the window is wide open and the only thing in the house is a bunch
of things you dont want and which you would get tomorrow for free anyway