[FFmpeg-devel] avcodec_check_frame_for_corruption?

madshi dear
Wed Mar 26 14:25:24 CET 2008

 From reading the mailing list it appears to me that
you ffmpeg/libav devs are quite strict with checking
for possible error conditions etc. I like that a lot!
Now I'm wondering:

Is there any chance to add functionality to libav to
make it possible for me as a programmer who uses
libav to check a video or audio frame for corruption?

My understanding is that currently all decoders try
to work around corruption and still let decoding
succeed somehow. E.g. the MPEG2 decoders still
output frames even if the bitstream is damaged.
The problem with that for me is that I cannot
detect whether an audio or video frame was clean
or corrupt. And that is what I'd like to find out.

Maybe the video/audio decoders could set a flag
somewhere when a frame was found to be damaged,
but when decoding still worked fine? Another option
would be if I could tell the decoders to let decoding
fail if there's any corruption found in the bitstream.

What do you think?

Regards, madshi.