[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] AVFilter Parser

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Mar 26 20:44:54 CET 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 07:55:49PM +0100, Vitor Sessak wrote:
> Hi
>
> vmrsss wrote:
> > Hello. I've tried to interpret all that was said in the past few days,
> > and would like to make a proposal to pull it all together. This is
> > essentially what Vitor said in his last email, somehow simplified,
>
> Well, I think here you really underestimating the differences between
> the two syntaxes. This is not good, because it can seriously confuse
> someone who is trying to follow the discussion.
>

> > plus a hopefully cleaner treatment of feedback.
>
> I don't agree. More on this later.

seconded, i like vitors syntax a lot more than this artificial seperation
into forward and feedback.

[...]
> > A few examples with feedback:
> >
> > These were proposed my Michael:
> >
> >> 2<X 0<L Filter0 L<0 2>Y ; Y>0 2<L Filter1 L<2 X<0
> >>
> >>   _________
> >>  /         \
> >>  \          |
> >> ---> Filter0 --->
> >>  /          |
> >>  \____  ___/
> >>       \/
> >>   ____/\___
> >>  /         \
> >>  \          |
> >> ---> Filter1 --->
> >>  /          |
> >>  \_________/
>
> I really can't see what is so special about feedback. It could be
> written like

Feedback is in general a imaginary concept not a property of a link in a
graph.

Example being:

(in1 tmp4) filter0 (out1 0), (0 in2) filter1 (tmp4 out2);
or
(tmp2 in2) filter1 (0 out2), (in1 0) filter0 (out1 tmp2);

all links change their feedback vs forward character between these 2 examples.
Still it is the same graph

If a bugfix only changes things apparently unrelated to the bug with no
further explanation, that is a good sign that the bugfix is wrong.