[FFmpeg-devel] GoC 2008 and H264 SVC decoder

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Mar 27 04:00:42 CET 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:57:57AM -0400, Jeff Downs wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Thorsten Jordan wrote:
> [...]
>
> > > You can get two fields of the same parity consecutively, but the first one
> > > of the two would be considered an unpaired field (and possibly the second,
> > > depending on what followed it).
> > so unpaired field means error in stream? e.g. two consecutive top fiels
> > without bottom field aren't really sensible...
>
> No, that's perfectly legitimate. Unpaired fields can be used for reference
> purposes when decoding later fields.  It wasn't clear to me, however, if
> unpaired fields are intended for output (display).  Current ffmpeg h264
> decoder only uses unpaired fields for reference. They are never output.

Someone, a mightly volunteer like you for example :) should check the
reference bitstreams if there is one with unpaired fields. ANd if what
should be output differs by a (few) fields from what ffmpeg does output.

I know you won't believe me, but the highest form of Human Excellence is
to question oneself and others. -- Socrates