[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC 2008 qualification task

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Mar 28 19:47:09 CET 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 07:05:21PM +0100, Tomasz ?ernicki wrote:
> Hello,
>   My name is Tomasz ?ernicki. I would like to participate in the GSoC 2008. I have some DSP and audio coding background as well as experience in C programming.
>   According to the ?Idea List? I would like to choose ?AAC-LC Encoder? as my primary GSoC task.

>   On the other hand I want to choose ?Nellymoser forward transform? as my qualification task.

See libavcodec/nellymoserdec.c theres a imdct some reordering, windowing
and stuff :)
Goal is a clean inverse transform of this transform. It has to be fast (no
O(n^3) matrix multiply!) good news is, all building blocks should be already
written (we have mdct, fft, ... code)
I also think you should write some selftest code to ensure that your transform
works correctly that is your transform -> existing transform is (nearly) the
same as what was input at the start.
And i think benjamin will want to comment on this / correct me ...

> I hope it is not too late to participate in GSoC 2008.

No, as long as you submit some application to google within time and finish a
qualification task within time (and you, like everyone will need several
patch submission review resubmission cycles so submit the qualification
attempt early!)

The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.
-- Aristotle