[FFmpeg-devel] Flac encoder and MPEG4 ALS

Jai Menon realityman
Sun Mar 30 17:35:22 CEST 2008

On Sunday 30 March 2008 08:48:52 Benjamin Zores wrote:
> Jai Menon a ?crit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I started some basic work on the MPEG4 ALS encoder and I get the feeling
> > that I could reuse a lot of code from the flac encoder. So
> > (hypothetically ;-)) if I were to submit a patch, is it okay if I move
> > some code out of flacenc.c to a shared source file?
>
> IIRC we don't even have a decoder for that atm.
> Do you have a working ffmpeg decoder for that or are you using the
> closed mp4alsRM19 binary ?

Very correct. It would be more sensible to write a decoder for  libavcodec
before pursuing this. But this "work" on the encoder is with reference to the
GSoC task. I'm using the RM20 reference decoder and it suits my current
purpose. Also i think that the encoder would be tested/verified against the
reference.
I have submitted what i hope will be the final patch for my qual task. Once
that is done i'll have time to maybe get a basic als decoder and some code
refactoring done. Also there is that TAK reversing thing.......... ;-)