[FFmpeg-devel] Flac encoder and MPEG4 ALS

Kostya kostya.shishkov
Sun Mar 30 15:24:25 CEST 2008

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 08:34:18AM -0400, Justin Ruggles wrote:
> Jai Menon wrote:
> > On Sunday 30 March 2008 08:48:52 Benjamin Zores wrote:
> >> Jai Menon a ?crit :

> >> IIRC we don't even have a decoder for that atm.
> >> Do you have a working ffmpeg decoder for that or are you using the
> >> closed mp4alsRM19 binary ?
> >
> > Very correct. It would be more sensible to write a decoder for  libavcodec
> > before pursuing this. But this "work" on the encoder is with reference to the
> > GSoC task. I'm using the RM20 reference decoder and it suits my current
> > purpose. Also i think that the encoder would be tested/verified against the
> > reference.
>
> A decoder, in this case, is a much larger task since ALS has several
> different optional extensions that would have to be supported.  If you
> feel that you are up to the task, by all means submit a proposal.  I
> chose to suggest an encoder because it is more flexible as far as the
> timeframe, and therefore much more likely to make it to SVN by the end
> of the summer.

I've looked at it once. Seems the most features are for floating-point
mode, baseline decoder should be comparatively easy. Especially if you
are the person who writes encoder to it ;)

Too bad the spec costs money and available drafts allow you to write
some hybrid between LPAC and ALS. At least we have the reference
decoder and encoder sources.