[FFmpeg-devel] Flac encoder and MPEG4 ALS

Kostya kostya.shishkov
Sun Mar 30 15:55:49 CEST 2008

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 09:44:51AM -0400, Justin Ruggles wrote:
> Kostya wrote:
[...]
> > I've looked at it once. Seems the most features are for floating-point
> > mode, baseline decoder should be comparatively easy. Especially if you
> > are the person who writes encoder to it ;)
>
> It has 2 entropy coders, plus another for floating-point.  It has 2 ways
> of doing multi-channel.  There are also several prediction methods.  The
> spec does not specifically say what is "baseline" vs. extended, but it
> would be simple enough to break down the task.

IIRC, both entropy coders are VLC - classical Shannon-Fano scheme and
classical Golomb codes. Prediction is also standard LPC and RLS, the latter
is quite rare in codecs though (MLP, APE, TTA ?).

And yes, they overlooked the possibility to define baseline.

Also it leads me to the thought LPAC author just included an alternative
to each encoding step to (dis)satisfy all :-S