[FFmpeg-devel] Eliminating long

Jay L. T. Cornwall jay
Mon Mar 31 00:40:36 CEST 2008

Luca Barbato wrote:

>> There is no reliable way to marshall this type into a managed structure
>> on all platforms. Could I request that the type be made explicit in
>> ByteIOContext, as 'unsigned int' or 'uint32_t'.

> I'm not sure that's a good workaround... Cannot fix it on your wrapper side?

Not reliably. The size of the ByteIOContext structure depends on the
compiler that FFmpeg was built with. It's worse than a 32-bit/64-bit
issue; unfortunately the C specification is lax enough to permit that
for the long type. There's no way to detect how the structure was built
from C#.

If there is a need for the checksum field's size to vary with bitness,
size_t is a portable alternative. What's in avio.h right now isn't
portable at all if the field is being used to store more than 32-bit
data; it will overflow under VC 64-bit.

--
Jay L. T. Cornwall
http://www.jcornwall.me.uk/