[FFmpeg-devel] Eliminating long

Jay L. T. Cornwall jay
Mon Mar 31 01:57:04 CEST 2008

Reimar D?ffinger wrote:

> Huh, you mean there is no way to differentiate between a 32 and a 64 bit
> library? That seems hard to believe...
> Either way, IMO the code at least lacks a comment as to why long is used
> for all that checksum stuff, I currently can't seen any sense in that...

Sorry, perhaps I worded that badly. .NET provides good support for
handling 32-bit/64-bit differences across platforms and it will only
link to libraries of the same bitness as the runtime system.

It provides support for handling platform differences, like sizeof(void
*), but not ABI differences like sizeof(long). That type is very
problematic and, as far as I can see, is no more useful than uint32_t
and definitely more confusing.

There seems to be so much resistance to the idea of making this simple
change, it's not worth my effort to make its case any longer. I'll just
conditionally compile the type size in C# and limit the runtimes I can
support.

Thanks for your reply, at least, that was grounded in practicality and
not pedantry.

--
Jay L. T. Cornwall
http://www.jcornwall.me.uk/