[FFmpeg-devel] Eliminating long

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Mar 31 02:05:48 CEST 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 01:40:34AM +0200, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
[...]
> Either way, IMO the code at least lacks a comment as to why long is used
> for all that checksum stuff, I currently can't seen any sense in that...

I neither can see why we use long, possibly this came from code from
libavformat/crc.c which originated from zlib (the header in libavutil/adler.c
points to that) And the original author wrote this with 16bit int in mind.

Either way changing it now requires a major version bump and there is no
problem with keeping long. -> it wont be changed until we choose to bump the
major ver for some other reason.
And even then it will only happen if someone submits a patch which has that
change under appropriate #if version > blah before.

There will always be a question for which you do not know the correct awnser.