[FFmpeg-devel] GoC 2008 and H264 SVC decoder

Nico Sabbi Nicola.Sabbi
Mon Mar 31 11:24:09 CEST 2008

On Monday 31 March 2008 10:44:23 Thorsten Jordan wrote:
> Nico Sabbi schrieb:

> >> I agree. I suppose AVI is the only problematic container then?
> >> ogm, mkv, asf, mov etc. are all ok? good to know...
> >
> > ogm doesn't have PTS either, and ogg is a curse word as much as
> > mkv
>
> why that? because the format is badly defined?

because both formats are very bad, but for different reasons
explained countless times in this ML

> mkv files seem to have pts in presentation order...

whatever the pts frames should be stored in the file in decoding order
in any decent container, but mkv doesn't fall in the category

> I guess for libav-users it would be good to know which container
> formats don't have pts. ffplay implements that with the
> decoder_reorder_pts option, but it has to be set by the user.

IIRC formats that have both pts and dts are few: mpeg*,
nut, mkv, mov, maybe asf;  surely not avi and ogg. All other formats
aren't worth considering for carrying H264