[FFmpeg-devel] GoC 2008 and H264 SVC decoder

Nicolas George nicolas.george
Mon Mar 31 11:59:01 CEST 2008

Le duodi 12 germinal, an CCXVI, Nico Sabbi a ?crit?:
> because both formats are very bad, but for different reasons
> explained countless times in this ML

Could you, without too much trouble, find one of these messages? I would
like to try and dump the arguments in <URL:
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Matroska
 >, in a "shortcomings" section (or rather "pro and cons", as I am always
suspicious of references that only give one point of view).

> IIRC formats that have both pts and dts are few: mpeg*,
> nut, mkv, mov, maybe asf;  surely not avi and ogg. All other formats
> aren't worth considering for carrying H264

By the way, that is a question that was bothering me for a long time: what
is the point of DTS (decoding timestamps, right?)? And why is it necessary
for H.264 and not other codecs?

My naive idea is that a frame needs to be decoded before it is presented,
and after all frames it depends on have been decoded, and that is enough. Do
you have any references where this is explained?

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George