[FFmpeg-devel] Possible license violation: VIDEO CONVERT MASTER

Benoit Fouet benoit.fouet
Mon Mar 31 22:21:54 CEST 2008

Hi,

Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> Diego Biurrun wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 05:55:21PM +0200, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
>>
>>> The installer does not indicate any license. The HELP ABOUT threatens
>>> criminal penalties for unauthorized reproduction.
>>>
>>> On the website http://www.video-convert-master.com/index.htm I did not
>>> find any credit to ffmpeg, nor any mention of LGPL or GPL at all, nor,
>>> needless to say, any hint of the modified sources.
>>>
>>> After installation there is avcodec-51.dll, which in itself is enough to
>>> make the distribution, at least of the ffmpeg parts, LGPL; and
>>> xvidcore.dll, referenced by avcodec-51.dll, which is enough to make it
>>> GPL. There is an avcore.dll which seems to be based on ffmpeg.c
>>>
>>> I did not fully analyze the organization of the thing, but there does
>>> not seem to be an exe that references that avcore.dll, so I guess they
>>> use it by GetProcAddress, which some people consider a gray area for the
>>> enforcement of (L)GPL *but* only if an independent library with the same
>>> ABI exists, not the case here.
>>>
>>> Could someone verify my findings, especially the non-findings?
>>>
>> Please add this to the tracker and to the Hall of Shame.
>>

> Not before an independent verification (I made several wrong calls in
> the past!)

I have the same remarks as you, Michel. That is: I didn't find any
credits file (neither on the website, nor while installing/using the
software), and it is quite clear it uses libav*

--

Benoit Fouet